Friday, July 1, 2011

Angel Wings & Zebra Love

Welcome to the OFFICIAL Sew Snazzy Stitches blog!  I'm so excited to be launching this blog on the first anniversary of opening my shop.  What better way to kick off my blog than with the story behind one of my projects.  Here it goes!!!

A while back, I received a message from one of my customers on Etsy.  Her name is Venessa and she wanted to know if I could make her a shirt to match this ruffle bottom onesie.


I LOVED that idea and got right to work.  Here is what I came up with...drum role please;).


Since I spend most of my time creating clothes for my girls, I hardly ever get to make stuff for adults.  Don't be surprised when I post a pic showing my girls and me with matching shirts:).


Here is Venessa with her ADORABLE daughter wearing the items I made for them.  Aren't they SOOOO CUTE?!?!?  It just made my day when I checked my email and found that she had sent me a picture.  Thanks Venessa!


But the story doesn't end here.  Venessa wanted a matching shirt and onesie because she and her daughter were going to participate in a SIDS walk honoring her late niece, Mylie. 


Mylie Ann Riegler earned her angel wings when she was four months old.  She was put to sleep on her back and spontaneously stopped breathing.  Since there was nothing that could explain the cause of her passing, it was labelled as SIDS.  I cannot even begin to imagine what her family has been through.  Being the mother of two girls (one of which was born premature), SIDS is what I was most afraid of.  I really admire Mylie's parents and family for sharing their story with me and helping to spread the word about SIDS.  By participating in events such as the SIDS walk, they are hoping to raise awareness and push for more research to be done.  While speaking to Venessa, I learned that there is support available  for families affected by SIDS.  

SIDS Resources is a website dedicated to educating families and providing support for those in need.
Here is the link to their page - drop by and check it out.

You can also find them on Facebook by clicking the link below.

Mylie's nursery theme included zebra prints and hot pink fabric.  During the SIDS walk, her family continued that theme to honor her.  Here is everyone in their zebra print shirts!  


Also, this is a banner that was made just for Mylie.


Mylie and her family will forever be in my thoughts and prayers.  It is my hope that one day some brilliant researcher will discover the cause and how to prevent SIDS from occurring once and for all!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment